BIG PICTURE: This diagnostic testing module contains Passages and Free Standing Questions that include the experimental design and analysis expected of you on the MCAT. Multiple laboratory techniques and experimental set up are also presented. The passages apply foundational scientific principles outlined in the AAMC MCAT Content Guideline and covered in multiple undergraduate courses (i.e. Biochemistry, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Physics) to various clinically relevant diseased states often encountered by physicians. This includes gallstones, gout, tumor hypoxia, cancer and chemotherapy, and phenylketonuria.
This Passage/Q Bank covers the following major testing areas tested on the MCAT:
1) UNIQUE NATURE OF WATER AND ITS SOLUTIONS: Acid/Base Equilibria, Ions in Solution, Solubility, Titration
2) NATURE OF MOLECULES AND MOLECULAR INTERACTIONS: Covalent bonds, Intermolecular interactions, Stereochemistry (Note that med-pathway also offers a separate, in depth Content Review and DIagnostic Test on Stereochemistry)
3) SEPARATION AND PURIFICATION TECHNIQUES: (Including Proteins, Amino Acids): Extraction, Distillation, Chromatography (Ion Exchange, Gel Filtration), Electrophoresis
4) STRUCTURE/FUNCTION OF BIOMOLECULES: BIochemistry and Organic Chemistry of Enzyme mechanisms, Amino Acids and Proteins, and Chemistry of Key Functional Groups and Important Reactions (Note that med-pathway also offers a separate, in depth Content Review and Diagnostic Tests for Amino Acids/Proteins as well as Organic Chemistry).
5) PRINCIPLES OF CHEMICAL KINETICS & THERMODYNAMICS: Enzymes (Substrate Specificity and Mechanism of Action, including Michaelis-Menten, Cooperativity, and Kinetics of Inhibition), Principles of Bioenergetics, Free Energy, Keq and Laws of Mass Action, Biological Half Reactions & Electron Transport, Thermodynamics, Enthalpy, Entropy, Kinetics (Reaction Rates, Rate Laws, Energy Profiles)